Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Famous by Default Book Review


Famous by Default by M.K. Harkins

Jax

Buried,
By my family's fame.
Dying to escape the limelight,
And finally, I do.

Being raised as a Jayne, I'm under constant scrutiny. The rock band my brothers formed makes it impossible to stay under the radar. Paparazzi, tabloids, rabid fans--you name it and I've got it. It all makes me sick. But getting shipped off to crazy Aunt Betty's house in my senior year of high school isn't any better. After all, there isn't a stray kid or pet in the world that my aunt wouldn't take in.
Then I meet her. She's cautious, suspicious, and not interested in me at all. But that's fine by me. Sivan Holt may be beautiful and intelligent, but she's nothing I'm looking for.

Sivan

Drowning,
In my past.
Struggling to feel settled.
And finally, I do.

Growing up in the foster care system, I longed for a sense of belonging. All I wanted was a place to call home. At the age of seventeen, I'm finally starting to feel it here. Home.

When he comes along, it unsettles me. I don't want him to ruin everything we've built--everything that matters. Jax Jayne is arrogant, privileged, and I want nothing to do with him. But those green eyes of his keep drawing me in. If I let down my walls, will it be my final undoing?

***REVIEW***
Famous by Deafult is a great young adult romance read. The settings are well described, but what really stands out for me in this story are the characters. 
The main characters are both running from either their past or their current lifestyle. They both have growing to do by addressing the very things they run from. 
There are many times in this story that I wanted to give Sivan a hug. Sivan seems so fragile at first with the way the story starts off. Not a lot of detail or reflection goes into what happened in Sivan's past. The story focuses on Sivan's present life. Betty, the woman who takes Sivan in, helps Sivan learn to trust again. Sivan happens to be caring, witty, and intelligent. As the story goes on, Sivan learns more about herself and finally starts to address the past with the help of Betty and Jax. 
Jax is running from the fame and fans he has gained from being a Jayne. He refused to join his brothers' band because of the fame and chaos it could create, yet it found him. He refused to play music since music created his misery. Jax doesn't make the best first impression when he meets Sivan and his aunt Betty. He believes Sivan hates him. Overtime, Jax and Sivan become friends. With Sivan's help, Jax learns more about what he truly is trying to escape from and what his future could hold. 
Towards the end of the story, there are a few emotional parts that left me in tears. The story is full of hope and fear. 
The only issue I have with this story is that there isn't a lot of interaction involving Jax's brothers. I truly hope there will be a Jayne series with with each brother getting their own story. The brief interaction with the Jayne brothers were entertaining and made me want to know them more.
Check out Famous by Default on Amazon.

I received this story as an Advance Reader Copy. All opinions are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment